CAE (Computer Aided Engineering)
- Multi CAD using PTC Creo, Altium and VeSys as our main tools of the trade, however we can also work with you using CATIA and Solid Works if required.
- Finite Element structural and dynamic modelling using Creo Simulate with ANSYS available if more complex cases where non-linear material behaviour modelling is required.
- Fatigue and durability modelling using nCode FE-Fatigue application suite and NASA’s NASGRO. An increasingly important part of justification of critical structural modifications to assure airworthiness of a modification or repair through to the end of the aircraft service life.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics using xFlow to ensure all flow conditions are covered: incompressible external & internal flows, heating/cooling of avionics and role equipment, compressible flow and moving mesh analysis.
- Reverse Engineering using a Romer portable CMM arm allowing accurate duplication of existing aircraft components for replacement, repair or modification.
- Modal testing using an array of accelerometers and an impact hammer for static testing or an array installed with our data acquisition system for operational modal analysis
- Analysis using Mathcad and Matlab/Simulink.
Using both our in-house test pilot and specialist contract test pilots we have the ability to deliver flight testing on a range of aircraft from ultra-lights through to transport category aircraft.
We typically undertake 2-3 major flight test programmes each year of both fixed and rotary wing aircraft:
- Survey equipment installations such as tip pods, camera pods, tail stingers or loops
- Avionics modifications and upgrades such as helicopter NVG cockpit upgrades, helicopter IFR conversion, surveillance role equipment installation etc.
- Powerplant changes and upgrades, frequently involving reworking of air and oil cooling systems.
- Gross weight increases to carry additional payload or fuel, particularly important for some specialised surveillance or survey role equipment installations.
We have our own state-of-the-art jack-mounted aircraft scales to provide you the best possible service. We can weigh aircraft up to 10,000kg (22,000lbs).
We can fabricate a test rig in our own facilities to verify performance of a structure or mechanical system and demonstrate compliance with the certification requirements. This can include static load testing and also in-flight structural vibration and strain measurement.
We have our own 500sqm well-appointed workshop. Some of the highlights comprise:
- large-format CNC router for machining composite panels and sheet metal components
- manual mill & lathe, press brake, magnetic pan brake, guillotine and all the usual workshop tools and equipment for machined and sheetmetal manufacture and assembly
- clean assembly room which is also used for component metrology using our Romer CMM arm
- electronics assembly and test lab for cable and electrical component assembly
We have a number of specialist CASA approved sub-contractors for composite manufacture, CNC machining and turning, welding and sheetmetal fabrication as required.