CAE (Computer Aided Engineering)
- Multi CAD using ProENGINEER and Autocad as our main tools of the trade however we can also work with you using CATIA and Solid Works if required.
- Finite Element structural and dynamic modelling using MECHANICA with ANSYS available if more complex cases where non-linear material behaviour modelling is required.
- Fatigue and durability modelling using nCode FE-Fatigue application suite and NASA’s NASGRO. An increasingly important part of justification of critical structural modifications to assure airworthiness of a modification or repair through to the end of the aircraft service life.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics using a variety of tools to ensure all flow conditions are covered: incompressible external & internal flows, heating/cooling of avionics and role equipment, compressible flow and moving mesh analysis.
- Reverse Engineering using a Romer portable CMM arm allowing accurate duplication of existing aircraft components for replacement, repair or modification.
- Modal testing using an array of accelerometers and an impact hammer for static testing or an array installed with our data acquisition system for operational modal analysis.
Using both our in-house test pilot and specialist contract test pilots we have the ability to deliver flight testing on a range of aircraft from ultra-lights through to transport category aircraft.
We typically undertake 2-3 major flight test programmes each year of both fixed and rotary wing aircraft:
- Survey equipment installations such as tip pods, camera pods, tail stingers or loops
- Avionics modifications and upgrades such as helicopter NVG cockpit upgrades, helicopter IFR conversion, surveillance role equipment installation etc.
- Powerplant changes and upgrades, frequently involving reworking of air and oil cooling systems.
- Gross weight increases to carry additional payload or fuel, particularly important for some specialised surveillance or survey role equipment installations.
We have our own state-of-the-art jack-mounted aircraft scales to provide you the best possible service. We can weigh aircraft up to 10,000kg (22,000lbs).
We can fabricate a test rig in our own facilities to verify performance of a structure or mechanical system and demonstrate compliance with the certification requirements. This can include static load testing and also in-flight structural vibration and strain measurement.
We have our own 250sqm well-appointed workshop with large CNC router for maching composite panels and sheet metal components, manual mill plus all the usual workshop tools and equipment for assembly of aircraft role equipment, components and looms.
We have a clean assembly room which is also used for component metrology using our Romer CMM arm.
We have a number of specialist CASA approved sub-contractors for composite manufacture, CNC machining and turning, welding and sheetmetal fabrication as required.